In unpacking recently, I came upon a gem of an essay written by my younger daughter Kat (now 24 and a stellar dance instructor in her own right, as most of you know). She had composed it in 5th grade, when she was 10 years old, a few months before this picture of her was taken. By then, she had been dancing for two years, as she started in 3rd grade at the tender age of 8, just like her older sister Jessa had. I was obviously still married to Jeff, and Jeff’s son Adam was over for a weekend visit. I loved reading it, as it brought back the warm fuzzy memories of the time, and I’m sharing it because as people begin line dancing, they often wonder if they have waited too long to take up this wonderful hobby. They haven’t! You’re never too old to start, OR too young! To see how old too young is NOT, take a peek back in time with me into a child dancer’s memories…
Dancing At Willowbrook by Katie Warner [unedited]
On a cold blustery Saturday night of Jan. 5, 2002, my cheerful mom, wonderful dad, awesome brother, age 7, cool sister, age 12, and me, age 10 all arrived at Willowbrook Ballroom at 8:00where we go line dancing. Willowbrook Ballroom is located about an hour’s drive away from my house in Geneva. It was my brother Adam’s first time going line dancing at Willowbrook and he was so excited! Even though he slept in the car all the way there, I know he was excited. We all piled out of the car and walked inside. We were all anxious to get out on the wooden dance floor and line dance. I was ready to get out on the brown wooden dance floor and do some line dances that I know.
We all rushed inside and froze when we saw the dance floor. I had never seen it so crowded! I was shocked! They were getting taught a new dance and it was right in the middle of the lesson. We walked around and looked for a table but couldn’t find any. We got a chair and set our coats on it. Then we rushed to the dance floor when the lesson was over. We danced, dance after dance. I got to two-step and dubble-two-step with my dad. Those are couples dances. The people that play the songs from the request sheet played all the songs I requested. At Willowbrook they even had food too! Everyone in my family had a lot of fun and were so tired when we left at 11:00. The next day we basically layed around the house when we were home.
Isn’t that priceless?? From 8 to 98, dancing is the perfect thing to do for fun, fitness, and friendship! I hope you will join me on the dance floor! To find an in-person class near you, visit www.dancewithjanet.com/
- A new session of line dances starts next week – for those of you who waiting, the time is NOW to RESTART!!
- If you can’t find your videos, please re-read your newsletter from a couple of weeks ago entitled, “I Really Did Warn You…” Courtney says she’s still receiving emails on this subject…still love ya!!!!
- Have you liked my Dance With Janet Facebook page? That’s the place to connect: www.facebook.com/
dancewithjanet. Pop over and click the “LIKE” button to keep up on what’s new!
- I’m teaching at Cadillac Ranch (www.cadranch.com) on Tuesdays & Fridays. Tonight I’ll be teaching Honey I’m Good, Love Never Felt So Good, & Sugar Kane (at 6:30, 7:30, & 8:30, respectively). Tuesday I’ll repeat Dance With Ya at 7:30 and Double D at 8:30
- This weekend is SUNDAY NITE COUNTRY on October 25th, at the Warrenville Community Building, from 6 – 9 (dinner served from 5:30 – 7). Dance alternating sets of Couples and Lines to your favorite songs on a wood floor a la the Cadillac Ranch’sSunday Stampede!
- Saturday’s Warrenville line dance class for Halloween Saturday, 10/31, has been CANCELLED
- We dance again SATURDAY, November 7th, also at the Warrenville Community Building, 3S240 Warren Ave., from 7 – 10 pm. Join the party, especially if you are a new line dancer, for $5 cover; 2 lessons (at 7:30 & 8:30) are included!
- BOOT CAMP is fast approaching in Warrenville on NOVEMBER 8th from 3 – 5:15; mark your calendars! I’ll be teaching line dancing & Gary will be teaching couples classes, including East Coast Swing, per your requests
- Two performances are scheduled: We’ll dance at Two Way Street Coffeehouse on Saturday, November 7 from 2-4 pm, and on Saturday, December 5th at 1 pm we’ll dance CLICHE LOVE SONG in the Warrenville Christmas Show. Save the dates!
- Dance Lessons for the 2nd Annual Dance With Janet Cruise are now at the second price tier of $65 for the entire week (the lessons & open dance schedule and other details can be found at www.dancewithjanet.com/
cruise2016). This second Early Bird rate EXPIRES NOVEMBER 30th.
See you on the dance floor!